Yesterday, the doctor explained to us that there are 4 things they have to do to be able to go home:
1. Breathewith no assistance
2. Regulate their own temperature out in the open (in a crib, etc.)
3. Weigh more than 4 lbs
4. Feed 100% from the bottle or, um, naturally
One of the things we've been doing is called kangaroo care, which is essentially skin-to-skin contact with the babies. There is much research to show that kangaroo care helps premature babies maintain their temperature, be calm and less stressed, maintain heart rate and breathing, and more. And it works whether they're being held by mommy or daddy. This is just about the best way we get to interact with them, and we really feel like we're making a positive contribution to their well-being. So, on any given day, you can probably find me hanging out with all the NICU nurses without my shirt on. Those of you who know me best (i.e., have been on vacation with me) will know that this is no great sight!
We have to leave soon to take the evening shift, so I'll leave you with a couple new pics.
Only 6 days old, and Alex already has a better tan than his dad.

After taking her temp and changing her diaper (leading to an incident that we will hereafter refer to only as "The Unpleasantness"), Daddy holds Lila for a few minutes -- traditional style).

5 comments:
So glad to see everyone making such great progress! Take care!
Jess
Isn't that Kangaroo Care stuff just amazing...I've read about it before. Sounds like they are all progressing perfectly - breathing on thier own...next up, regulating body temps on thier own!!!
Congratulations!! Can you imagine how excited we were after celebrating Lauren's birthday earlier that day to hear that the triplets would share the same birthday?! I'm only sorry that I won't be able to see all 5 of you before I leave....Lauren got us tickets to the inauguration, otherwise you could count on a visit from me. I'm sure I'll see them this summer when they'll be bright eyed and moving around!! All my best to all of you!!!
That is wonderful that they are all breathing on their own. I think the skin to skin is wonderful. I hope they keep progressing quickly so you can get them home. They are just adorable.
I'm thrilled to hear that the babies are making such good progress! I hope they get to go home soon. (Oh, and their nicknames are awesome.)
Post a Comment