Monday, May 25, 2009

You... shook me... (scratch that) LET ME SLEEP... all night long

So the kids have really done a heck of a job the past 2 nights. We've been putting them down around 9:30-10  lately, and for the past two mornings, we've been able to sleep anywhere from 6:45-7:15. Which has just been awesome.

We got the idea from a book that recommends various ways to get your kids to sleep better -- from babies to preschoolers, etc. One tip was, "sleep begets sleep." While it seems contrary, putting them to bed earlier actually got them sleeping later. The author explains that, if you wait until they're so tired that they're cranky, it's too late, and they will not be able to properly wind down.

It's kind of like how Daddy needs a few minutes to read or watch TV before turning the light off. If I just walk into a dark room and lay down, it takes forever to fall asleep. But if I can read just a few pages of Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, Book 9 -- Invincible (or whatever else happens to be on the nightstand), I'm on the express train to Dreamland.

But I digress. Bottom line: this new tactic seems to hold some promise, and we're happy for whatever rest we can get.

I'm back to work after a week of vacation (read: yard work), starting tomorrow. I also saw 2 movies, which were my treat for getting so much done around the house. I really, really liked Wolverine. Great flick. Great action. Hugh Jackman is the man. Unfortunately, I can't give such high praise to Terminator: Salvation. Man, did I want to like this movie. Coming on the heels of the cancellation of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (no longer on FOX; thanks FOX), I really wanted to like it. But it just didn't happen. I didn't hate it; I didn't love it. To quote Randy Jackson, it was just okay for me. Felt like one of those movies which could have been so much better. Too bad the plot didn't live up to the action and effects. Cest la vie.

Okay, back to the kids, here's a picture of them wearing their Rock Star onesies, given to them by the Ladies Nichols (you know who you are). And, in celebration, here are The Triplets' Top 10 "Rock Out 'Cause You're a Rock Star" songs:

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
The Beatles - Revolution
Soundgarden - Outshined
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Pearl Jam - Even Flow
Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

Rock on!!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow! I look forward to getting that kind of sleep! That's awesome. The babies suddenly look so much older to me! Love the shirts and the rock list.

Carrie said...

We are so jealous!!! Love the onesies!

Anonymous said...

They look so differant I hardly recognize them, maybe because they are all awake.
Love,
Grandmom

GB said...

Yay for more sleep for everyone! And the triplets have excellent taste in music :-)

Anonymous said...

MISS ALL OF IT , THEY ARE GREAT KIDS ,LUV THE OUTFITS

special said...

We already miss them , they are the best . Luv to all .

The Posh Nosh said...

Thanks for all the comments. For all you Mom's the book is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. But, it should be called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Mommy! Thank you Lori for recommending it!
Abby
P.S. Doesn't Brandon look ready for Kindergarten in this picture :) He is a giant baby!

Kathy said...

I'm ordering that book tomorrow! :-) (Although I have to say Andrew does sleep well...I think!)

Mary said...

This picture really reveals their individuality! Love it!